May 20, 2011

NeilMed Nasal Rinse - one of my favourite products

Disclaimer:  Please don't run at the title.  Many people are turned off by the idea but I really believe that this is a product that everyone can benefit from.  I am saying that because I have really appreciated this product for a long time and I have suggested it to many people and their reaction has almost universally been a mix of disgust and distrust.  If you give this a chance it can make a big difference.  I have no vested interest in you buying or not buying the product but I hope that you will give it a try.  If you use it already or have benefited from another product, please share your experiences in the comment section.  Particularly if you know the ratio of Salt to baking soda that is in the pre-mixed packages.

Nasal congestion has been a recurrent problem for me, especially when I have a cold, during allergy season, when I am cleaning or when I eat or drink certain foods.  Several years back I was introduced to this simple product based around the Neti Pot (which has been used in India for thousands of years and comes from the Ayurvedic medical system.)  The principal difference is that the NeilMed device is a squeeze bottle which allows you to add some gentle pressure and more effectively cleanse sinus fluids.

What I like most about this product is that you are rinsing your sinuses with a natural solution of Water, Salt and Baking Soda.  This means that you won't have the same rebound effect that you get with regular use of most nasal decongestants.  You can use the product several times a day as needed and it will have a lasting effect as it thins out the sinus fluids.  I use the product from time to time and then more often when I have a cold, during allergy season or when I go on a scuba dive vacation.  I would suggest that if you are reading this because you have never tried it that anyone who tries the product at least half a dozen times will see the benefit and continue to use it.  NeilMed is available through many retail distributors in many countries around the world.  If you want more information on the product or where to purchase it, please visit their website at: http://www.neilmed.com

Please leave comments below, particularly if you know the quantities of Salt and Baking Soda that go into the pre-mixed packets or if you have tried their newest product SinuSurf (a nasal surfactant) which I am very curious about but have yet to purchase.

2 comments:

Vinod said...

Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts. soldering wire suppliers, soldering wire suppliers in Delhi.

Unknown said...

Neti pot solution: Can I make my own?
Is it OK to make my own neti pot solution? Or is it better to buy a bottled neti pot solution?

Answer
from James T C Li, M.D., Ph.D.

Neti pot
A neti pot is a shallow container with a long, tapered spout. Neti pots are designed for rinsing or irrigating the nasal cavity. This irrigation helps relieve nasal congestion.

You don't need to buy a manufactured solution to use in a neti pot. A homemade solution works just as well. There are a number of saline recipes available. Here's one: To mix your own neti pot solution, dissolve 1/4 teaspoon (1.2 milliliter, or mL) of salt into 8 ounces (237 mL) of bottled or distilled water. Some people prefer to add an additional 1/4 teaspoon (1.2 mL) of baking soda. Ordinary table salt works for most people.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/neti-pot-solution/AN01879